Borough based businesses and venues that have been required to close due to the current Coronavirus national restrictions can apply now for a Local Restrictions Support Grant.
Between 5 November and 2 December, the Government has legally enforced the closure of all non-essential retail, leisure, personal care, sports facilities and hospitality businesses (providing face to face services) to close their premises and venues to the public.
To support these businesses during this period, the Government has issued grant funding to local authorities to distribute to qualifying businesses.
Businesses eligible for the grant must:
* be located within the borough of Woking
* have been operating before the restrictions were introduced – before Wednesday 4 November
* have been required to close due to the restrictions imposed by the Government
* have a business rates account with Woking Borough Council.
If eligible, the amount that each business will receive depends on the rateable value of its premises (business rates). Eligible businesses will receive support on a rolling 28-day basis for as long as national restrictions apply.
Grants will be paid according to the schedule below:
* grants of £1,334 per month for properties with a rateable value of £15,000 or under
* grants of £2,000 per month for properties with a rateable value of between £15,000 to £50,000
* grants of £3,000 per month for properties with a rateable value of £51,000 or over.
Applications for the Local Restrictions Support Grant must be submitted online via Woking Borough Council’s website at www.woking.gov.uk/localrestrictionsgrants
The Government has also announced an Additional Restrictions Grant, which will be available for applications from businesses that do not qualify for a Local Restrictions Support Grant. The Council is working to identify which types of businesses will be prioritised for the grant.
Previous funding provided to support businesses during the Coronavirus pandemic have seen the Council make payments of around £14 million to over 1,000 local businesses under the Government’s Small Business Grant; Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant and Local Authority Discretionary Grant schemes, which have now closed.
To keep up to date with the latest business news, including grant schemes, business owners are encouraged to subscribe to the council’s business enewsletter by signing up via its dedicated business website www.wokingworks.co.uk