Date: Weds 19th February 2020
Venue: The Station Pub, Station Road
Alan, Fullworks / Michael, Braywood Accountants / Noel, Chevening Financial /Sue, FDTS / Gary, Learning to Succeed / Pete, Waitrose, Mike, Smart Cartridge, Agnieszka, My Dressing Fitting Room
Paul Capindale, Neil Butcher, Andy Jarman, John Keenan, Christine Osborne, Hansa Pankhania, Robert Brewster, Tim Inwood, Melanie Roberts
Meeting chaired by Gary. Minutes by Michael
Next quarterly meeting & combined Annual General Meeting – Wednesday 20 May 2020 @ The Station Pub 6pm
Minute taker required
- Welcome to members & guests
- Minutes of last meeting – agreed
Resignations: following the closure of Carmel Snow, Roland & Fran Nevett have now resigned from the WBBA. The members thanked them for their tremendous input over the past seven years, with Roland providing particular insight into the planning & development status in West Byfleet and his drive for the WBBA to rediscover its purpose and with Fran making such a huge success of the Christmas events.
- Officers & vacancies
Chairman – Gary
Vice Chairman – Vacancy
Secretary – Sue
Membership Secretary – Alan
Planning Officer – Vacant
Media Promotion – Jo
Business Development – Noel
Events – Vacant
As below, sixteen new members have joined. One applicant was rejected on the grounds of having too little connection to West Byfleet.
Future of WBBA:
- Gary has personally distributed a circular to local businesses to generate awareness and support. As a direct result, sixteen new members have joined.
- Subscriptions for 2020 suspended – membership free and expected to remain free until such time as a need for funding becomes apparent
- The prime focus is to continue as a networking hub and a communication channel
- Funding for upgrade of website discussed. Alan commented that it primarily needs regular new content – all members encouraged to make better use of this resource
- Members also to be encouraged to update their business details on the website
- Noel has circulated guidance notes on using social media applications
- Alan volunteered to circulate a video of “how to” upload content etc
- Neil to confirm whether he still controls the FaceBook page
- Agnieszka questioned whether NextDoor would be a more accessible platform than FaceBook
- Chris Norrington at WBC has previously said that WBC has substantial untapped business support resources which WBBA should draw on for its members. Gary to invite Chris to present to WBBA so that members (and members-to-be) are aware of what is available.
Planning & development
- 3rd February Joint Statement from Local Ward Councillors re Sheer House has already been circulated to members. No significant progress from developers
- Rosemount Parade trees have been removed. Replacements pending
- Broadoaks development continues. Question of whether Octagon can bring any pressure on Sheer House, given that a thriving West Byfleet will make their newly built properties more attractive to sell
- West Hall 550 homes Green Belt release awaiting decision of Examiner: decision expected early 2020
- Post Office closure confirmed at the end of March. Owain Mumford (PO External Affairs Manager) email has been circulated, advising that they are continuing to search for alternative West Byfleet venues and a new franchisee is being sought.
- Waitrose new parking was discussed and all agreed that it was a big improvement.
- The prospect of a Christmas 2020 Event was discussed. WBBA does not itself have sufficient funds to cover the costs.
- Michael has discussed meeting Fran to put together a “how to” guide for this, covering practicalities, contacts, costings and revenue sources – given that Fran will not be running this Christmas event for 2020
- If the Christmas event is to be repeated for 2020, it is likely that either another major sponsor would be needed (tremendous thanks to our generous local sponsor for 2019) or that it would need to be scaled down.
- There was uncertainty whether the previous West Byfleet Live event would be reinstated for 2020.
- There was a reported reduction in anti-social behaviour but an increase in shoplifting
- West Byfleet Allotments’ Community Garden Group held planting days on 21st & 22nd February
- The last Annual General Meeting was held 6th March 2019. An AGM must be called within 15 months of the previous AGM.