Pauline Hedges, Mark Fuller, John Ashcroft, John & Christine Morrison; Gary Elson, Stella McMillan, Oliver, Ron Enticott; Christine Osbourne, John Ashcroft, Roland Nevett.
Apologies received from: Christine Osbourne, The Richardsons, Richard Smith, Robert Navarro, Jessica , Ron Enticott, Oliver, Jennifer Edwards; Heather Boardman; Ian Barnes, Juliette Price
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting
Minutes of the meeting held 4th June 2014
West Byfleet LI:VE 2014
Poster was circulated. Music starting at 12.00 finishing at 18.00. Sounds studio in New Haw owner assisting with the PA 15 minute gaps between each set and the houses are far away from the stage. Brompton Mix are headlining!!! Licence finishes at 6.00 pm film starts at 6.30 pm.
A giant lorry is being borrowed with a curtain side which gives height and cover if it rains (wet weather insurance has been obtained). Lorry is free as it is part of Jimmy Beech’s fun fair contacts.
Nearly 30 stalls confirmed a variety of crafts been to the three charity shops, not sure if they have the volunteers. Fire engine, car spa to demonstrate how they can clean up a car. Ferrari, massage Clandon Wood without coffin. Westwood will be there, Food stalls, Rio’s diner, burgers, Henry’s with South burgers, Fish & Chip Van, ice cream, the veggie stall has not responded, six fire extinguishers this year being hired. Risk Assessment took three hours, 35 pages of 20 appendices. Performing Rights Licence for this event is very complicated when doing a film that it is better to call them and then informed what to go for. Refreshment tent with beer, wine, tea and coffee. Wine Rack handing out samples and Keith Williams from the council said that there is no requirement for a licence for Wine Rack as they are not selling. Story Telling for the children and a gazebo arranged for that. The film is choosing the right one General Manager of Shepperton Studios will possibly provide Sound of Music.
Councils Economic Strategy was provided by Gary Elson who had to leave at this point. There is a para. on West Byfleet. Question regarding Costa occupying the square near Sheer House. Three applications currently in place at present – small reduction on previous applications. Roland suggested sending a letter to the council requesting planning consent – could be a state matter a question of the landlord and tenant matter, but planning may be involved. Need more information to make a better informed representation. Pauline suggested talking to Terry De Souza who is the planning representative at the Neighbourhood Forum. He is in the Planning Department allocated to West Byfleet. Spiral staircase had an accident with a child falling through. Has been filled and bars painted makes it look more attractive. Need to write to Terry De Souza. Matt Mitchell’s email management agent for Cube. Matt Peachey Economic Development bridge between the states and planning possible extra income for council. Cube are paying the council – Cube’s land. Five year lease. Talk to Matt Peachey and Terry De Souza – should have it as part of his portfolio – its an estates problem Roland will action this.
West Byfleet LI:VE – Sound of Music £1,000 to hire. Good news phone call from charity issues at Waitrose counted up the tokens have £404.00. Poster to be issued imminently. Shani will print some off at work – A4. Oliver to do an item on the Radio Brooklands/PR being discussed on Monday at the next meeting. Need to put up banners for the Fun Fair. Ray Morgan, Chief Executive, is now a contact which will be useful. Sky News to come along as Pauline was on Sky News Channel 192 Friday evening at 7.00 pm. Living in Surrey – what is happening in Surrey. Interviewed one of the market traders – Trout Farm. Would be happy to do an article on West Byfleet LI:VE.
Last year agreed to underwrite / contribute towards a loss – decided to give Pauline expenses of £500.00
towards West Byfleet LI:VE as a sponsorship which continues to keep the association separate from the event which keeps Easy England as the limited company and those working on behalf of the association.
Gill managed to obtain £200.00 to pay for the banner from Car Spa.
Traffic building up because of West Byfleet Live – doubled. Searching on google west Byfleet Live bakery shop/bell amico /hair mechanix/Broadlands/
Friday encouraging people to be purchasing from their local independent trader for Independence Day ’flying the flag for local independent retailers’ in the Borough.
Three separate letters regarding Sheer House development. Roland reported: Following the withdrawal of the last set three more received. Differ slightly as have taken some floors off and the total number reduced from 50 to 42. Developers negotiatings with Highway and feel agreed everything with SCC from the Highways point of view section 6 proposal £78,000 for various travel eleviation mesures. Early warning system with bus stops etc. Otherwise seems no different to before. Plannign Officer feels it is premature to talk about iot and the formal consulataion period has closed. Can still do so by email and letter. Unlikely to be decided prior to September. General feeling because of the flats on the roof perpetuates the building – will be refused again. This is why the planning inspector supported refusal on the last applications. Does not take CUBE very far unless there is something going on between council and Cube there seems to be some discussions taking place which may relieve CUBE from their responsibilities for the building.
Do we object to the applications again ill conceived development increasing the bulk. All agreed that this should be done. Takes us forward as what we are sayig this is premature as we do not have a plan for what West Byfleet should be doing in re-devleopment. Have we actually started a survey as to what people want in West Byfleet. Incubator Centre for new businesses. Neighbourhood Forum meeting on Tuesday and Thursday interested parties setting up six groups – five areas for residence ant the WBBA responsible for the businesses. Roland had pointed out the offices as well. Formal meeting at St Johns 60 people who have said they will talk to the residents in their areas to drill down requirements. Criitical is the business side which is the next stage on. Friday Night – Neighbourhood Forum at Waitrose.
What has been received is letter from the Council on the consultation on the supplementary planning document and community involvement. PH on Citizens Panel. 1st July – 26th August consultation period.
Highgate Neighbourhood Forum going for two years prior to their Development Plan. Five years in which to work. Falls into planning issues and more will be reported at the next meeting.
Again if going on the park needs to be member – Wine Rack. Butchers still outstanding. As the Morrisons are returned from annual leave should be focused on this. Check if Nicky Adlington is on the list. Blush a member – supply PH with email address. Suggest do a recruitment drive post West Byfleet LI:VE.
Nothing to report. Independent Retailers Group being encouraged to attend.will meet quarterly two months at different venues, still evolving. Businesses can attend so long within the borough. Planning big event after the summer.
£689.00 in the bank. When gave cheque to Paul at bourne Valley was short due to damage to some of the lights. Cheque for £200.00 less than the bill – this needs to be balanced. All agreed.
Woking on a project with Woking Chambers completing in three weeks, similar to this e-magazine. Will email everyone here rather than take up time in the meetings. Up and running in September.
Underpass needs to be cleaned before the event. Sunday 20th July 10.30 am. WBSocial Club can supply the water. Christine and Pauline will be organizing the event. Soapy water and microfibre cloths.
Madeira Road looks dreadful with regards potholes. Has to be the worst road in Surrey Surrey County Council website to report this issue. Second artery into the village. Representation to our County Councillor Richard to deal with this. Speeding has been covered by the Neighbourhood Forum, but again this can be presented to the County Councilor.
Gymboree has gone this will have an impact on trade in the village.
General feeling is that the village is tired and needs updating.
Woking Council are looking at supporting businesses with Woking Rate Relief. Confirmed by some traders that this has happened. Mark to put this on the website.
Prudential RideLondon, 10th August and the Social Club will be hosting the Ambassadors and will be open all day long for non-members.
Roland suggested that everyone should read the inward investment where the Council has encouraged several hundred jobs for the borough and we should be on the list for preferred locations. The council has recognized and said that West Byfleet is earmarked for action from April 2014. Concentrating on Sheer House, Parking traffic etc. highlights the need throught he Neighbourhood forum to ensure we know what we want. Short Term objectives – incubation centre – Sheer House/Costa all short term, but need to think about long term requirements. Ideas would be good prior to the meeting on Tuesday. PH progressing University College at Broadoaks.
Shani to check out the furniture status for WBBA members.
Rod Stewart tribute booked for raising monies for the hospice – Saturday 20th September 2014.
The meeting closed at 8.45 am
Next meeting August same place same time etc.