West Byfleet Business Association
Minutes of the Meeting held at West Byfleet Social Club
on Thursday 3rd April 2014 at 7.30 am.
Pauline Hedges – Chair
Catherine Richardson, John Ashcroft, Roland Nevett, Oliver Lodge, Stella McMillan, Gary Elson,
Welcome and apologies
PH welcomed everyone and reported that apologies had been received from Shani Orchard, Oliver, Juliette
Minutes of the meeting dated 6th March
Noted: Pauline paid chamber invoice – to be reimbursed. Address chamber hold for WBBA to be altered to Pauline’s from Stuart Q Murphy.
Matters arising – all on the agenda.
West Byfleet Li:ve – committee formed, all have roles. Stella to find volunteers, Pauline has arranged police cover. 11 stalls booked. Stella to run refreshments at event. Pauline has spoken to a company to help find sponsorship, will depend on having a leaflet/brochure, borough council will fund this. Fairground organized. Will be live music, still looking for band, Brookland’s radio interested in coming and covering especially as we are working with a charity. Facebook and twitter created for event, please find Facebook page and like to spread the word.
Website – last month 141 visits, average time spent on time was 2 mins, lots of searches for cycling and various others including individual businesses. Those businesses that have not renewed membership will be removed from site this week.
Planning – Sheer House application is still outstanding, nothing further to report. Permission to convert does not mean they will be converted but can be a backup if premises fall empty and cannot be re-let on a commercial basis. West Byfleet is now a priority in the borough for commercial development. Meeting held between Andy Davis, Noel Richardson and Roland Nevett and Matt Peachy and a planner from the borough council. The council have a taskforce looking at commercial development of the village, we have been asked for our input into the vision we have for West Byfleet and what we as business would like to see happen in the village. Roland has submitted a paper on our behalf. Meeting also covered strategic planning matters for village, architects have come up with a plan for redevelopment which will be made public in the summer. It is important that we are involved in this process and consulted. Roland has issued comprehensive notes which have previously been circulated. We are very grateful to Roland for his work and Pauline especially grateful to have a vision. Task group meeting next week, Gary will be part of that meeting and then to report to the council executive. Gary will feedback outcome of meetings. Vision is first draft and needs input from members with ideas, especially the long term, please read document and provide suggestions to Roland. Vision can now include restrictions on category of business such as takeaways, this can be formally presented through the neighborhood forum and control planning applications
Membership – 18 paid up members so far. Ron to provide John with a paying in book for bank account so when John signs up new members he can pay money straight into bank account. John reported plenty of interest in joining but need to collect funds.
Woking Chamber – AGM on 26th March 2014 new president elected, Stuart Wright of Barn brook Sinclair.
WBBA AGM – minutes have been circulated including elected positions. Thanks to GfK for hosting meeting in their boardroom and a special thanks to Stella at the West Byfleet social club for providing sandwiches and hospitality at the club after the AGM.
Neighborhood Forum – formal application ratified by full council, now recognized as a body by borough council. Forum will now focus on creating a development plan. Drop in at the library 6-9pm on Thurs 1st May for all who want to contribute. All business and residents in the village to be given leaflet advertising drop in. Consider attending forum drop in to promote membership of WBBA. The library to be approached to join us. Christine to target businesses who are not members of forum to approach to get involved. Objective of forum is to bring voice of community to the attention of councils and to be included in decisions affecting community, especially planning.
AOB – Heather Forster old shop premises let to kitchen fitting. Shop frontage of Waitrose to be updated in the next few weeks. Parking situation raised by Stella, Pauline to ask Geoff McManus as to progress with the parking review. Catherine to send paper submitted on parking to Roland.
Date of next meeting: 1st May 2014 at 7.30 am. at West Byfleet Social Club.