Minutes of the Meeting held at West Byfleet Social Club on Thursday September 5th 2013 at 7.30am
1. Welcome and apologies
Pauline welcomed everyone. Apologies had been received from several members.
2. Minutes of Meeting August 1st 2013
The minutes were agreed as accurate.
3. Matters Arising
All Action Points formed Agenda items apart from the following:
10.2 Pauline had met with Riette Thomas regarding sites for the Legacy Board, the council want a double sided board and the best place they consider is along Parvis Road. The committee pointed out that the traffic flowed quite fast along Parvis Road, but that along Camphill Road, the traffic was always much slower and there were far more pedestrians going to the schools and the sports clubs and the station who would have time to read the Legacy Boards. Pauline was asked to point this out to the council and also suggest that a single sided board be put on the library wall within the village itself.
Pauline to contact WBC
6.0 Pauline was asked to chase her Rotary Club for a Sleigh at Christmas.
Pauline to contact Shepperton Aurora Rotary Club – who are unable to help due to prior commitments.
10.1 Christine updated the meeting on Making Surrey Dementia Friendly and informed them that there would be a community meeting in the village in mid-October. She had been interviewed on Eagle Radio about the issue and this interview would be broadcast at regular intervals. Mark offered to add the podcast to the website.
Mark and Christine to put the podcast on the website.
11.2 Pauline had approached the Post Office regarding the Communities Fund Project but the sub postmaster had no information to pass on. She would visit him again.
Pauline would talk to West Byfleet sub-postmaster.
4. WBBA Constitution
Catherine and Christine O reported that they had received some responses to the consultation paper circulated some weeks and that these had been incorporated into the proposed new Constitution. It was agreed to hold an AGM on 11th November at 6.00pm at a venue to be agreed and that the pre meeting notification would carry request for nominations for the various committee positions. Catherine, Christine O, Christine M and Shani were thanked for all their hard work on this issue.
The sub group would continue to work on this issue and advise the members accordingly.
5. West Byfleet Festival – 2013
Pauline reported that she had met with Woking Borough Council and discussed 97 separate issues and lessons learnt to make next year’s LI:VE event better. Planning will start very soon.
Mark reported that the site receives about 300 visitors every month and he repeated the generous offer of advertising on the website with a link to the businesses own website for £5 per month plus VAT. 2 businesses have asked to join through the website; only 2 businesses have taken advantage of this offer so far.
7. W B Christmas 2013
Noel reported that Waitrose was planning a Christmas celebration in the week commencing December 9th, but he would confirm the date to Pauline who will contact the schools to see if they would like the choir to take part. The members who had organised Christmas Trees last year would do something similar this year and Noel would investigate battery operated LEDs and their colour so that they were the same as the lights operated by mains electricity. Christine M was keen to have a large Tree in the area opposite her shop and Pauline offered to talk to Gary Elson about getting permission to do that. The event would be advertised via the websites for WBBA, Woking Chamber and Woking Borough Council as well as WBBA members own websites.
Pauline to talk to Gary Elson re permission for a tree with lights next to Sheer House.
8. Planning Issues
Roland was thanked in his absence for the excellent letter he had sent to Woking Borough Council regarding maintaining the ground floor of 33 Station Approach.
The ladies who are working in the Constitution would assist with recruitment of new members as they called on shops regarding Christmas Trees. Once we have a new Constitution and have elected committee member at the AGM, control of new and retained members would be properly maintained.
10. Woking Chamber
Nothing to report.
11. Any Other Business
11.1 Pauline reported on an initiative called Heroes Welcome which some towns, including Woking, have adopted. The scheme encourages visits from armed forces personnel and offers various discounts to them. It was agreed that this was a good publicity exercise but that we had so much business to concentrate on at the moment we would not take it further until after the AGM.
11.2 Noel reported that there was a fresh coffee making machine in Waitrose and coffee was free to My Waitrose card holders.
12. Date of Next Meeting
Thursday October 3rd, West Byfleet Social Club.
The meeting closed at 8.40am with thanks to West Byfleet Social Club for refreshments and hosting.