Minutes of the Meeting held at Corkers Wine Bar on Thursday June 6th 2013 at 7.30am
1. Welcome and apologies
Pauline welcomed everyone. Apologies had been received from several members.
2. Minutes of Meeting May 2nd 2013
3. Matters Arising
All Action Points formed Agenda items apart from the following:
3.1. Gary will chase Geoff McManus to respond to the Open Letter regarding parking issues in the village. Richard Smith pointed out that he had been told by Surrey County Council that it will take months to replace the erroneously deleted parking spaces in Rosemount Avenue.
3.2 John A had informed the May meeting that Eezie would publish an A5 brochure to promote local businesses who attend meetings such as this one and WBBA could sell these at £1 per copy; this would be called West Byfleet Cook Book and would include details of where to eat plus recipes. He asked for suggestions as to costs and numbers to be printed and size of the publication. Everyone present was asked to contact him as a matter of urgency as he required 6 weeks to produce the brochure. It was agreed that there would be an on-line discussion about this matter.
John A would email all present.
4. West Byfleet Festival – 2013
Pauline has booked the Recreation Ground and spoken to a couple of groups who are happy to assist. Plans are progressing for a fun fair, food stalls, inflatables, a craft market and 5 zones to reflect the 5 continents. Pauline assured the meeting that the event was being insured by Easily England and would not be a liability for WBBA.
Mark reported on his suggestion for a new member’s Ad at a cost of £5 per month – which would be income for llocally to offset their costs of maintaining the website. The meeting approved this suggestion. The website is generating enquiries for membership and interest in taking part in West Byfleet LI:VE.
6. W B Christmas 2013
Christine M reported that a choir from the church has been booked for the evening of December 12th for a late night opening with a lantern parade and that Waitrose would support this with their green community tokens. The West Byfleet School choir are interested in taking part and Pauline would send contact details to Christine M.
Pauline to send details to Christine M.
7. Planning Issues
Pauline wanted to record the Associations thanks to Richard Smith, Mike Mignola and Roland Nevett for their work on the issues surrounding the possible redevelopment of Sheer House and their plans for an Open Meeting to discuss this issue jointly with businesses, residents and the council. Gary pointed out that to date Cube Real Estate had not either made a fresh planning application or a lodges an appeal and that there are 3 options open to the village – to do nothing, to do a little, to do a lot and that businesses should start preparing for the eventuality of the building needing major work – either re-cladding or re-building and the consequent disruption to the village when that happens. Shani warned the meeting that GfK were planning to re-locate away from the village with the loss of staff and their spending power in the village when their lease runs out in 2104. John Bond told the meeting that the Residents Association has a fighting fund which could be used to defray costs of meetings etc. Richard Smith, Eltons, generously offered to sponsor a meeting. Both were thanked.
Woking Borough Council is talking to various groups about a Vision for West Byfleet.
The question was asked “What if any compensation would there be in the event of major disruption and building in the village?” Gary offered to invite the Planning Officer from the Council to the next meeting.
Gary to invite Planning Officer to the next meeting.
The meeting agreed that Pauline, Ron, John and Richard S should meet up to sort out the current membership and discuss recruitment.
Ron, Pauline, John and Richard to meet.
9. Woking Chamber
Pauline informed the meeting of the Council’s plans for a major re-development of Sheerwater.
10. Any Other Business
10.1 John B informed the meeting of the formation of Neighbourhood Forum in Byfleet and the plans to do the same in Pyrford and West Byfleet. He invited members to submit their comments on the re-submitted planning application for an extension to the Gypsy encampment in Murrays Lane and reminded businesses that they can join the Residents Association for a minimal fee.
10.2 Pauline was asked to chase Riette Thomas about plans for a Legacy Board in West Byfleet.
Pauline to talk to Riette.
10.3 Pauline was asked to provide a poster about the LI:VE event which businesses can display.
Pauline to design and circulate a poster re LI:VE
10.4 Shani offered to show people round Sheer House
Shani and Pauline to arrange visit to GfK.
10.5 Pauline informed the meeting that there would be road closures for the Ride London cycle event on Sunday August 4th. Details would be available on the Ride London website.
10.6 The next meeting would focus on membership. Several new businesses were planning to open up in the village – Melanie was planning an up-market ladies clothes shop in the old Flower shop and a coffee grinders was planned for the old fishmongers, both in Station Approach with a Nail Bar on Old Woking Road and a lot of activity taking place in the old Britten’s and the Phone shops.
11. Date of Next Meeting
Thursday July 4th, West Byfleet Social Club, kindly offered by Stella McMillan.
The meeting closed at 8.45am with thanks to Corkers Wine Bar.