Minutes of the Meeting held at Corkers Wine Bar on Thursday January 11th 2013 at 7.30am
Pauline Hedges – Chair
Mark Fuller, Christine Osborne, Catherine Richardson, Rob von Tonder, Oliver Lodge, Nicola Paul, David Mower, Shani Orchard, John Ashcroft, Cllr Gary Elson.
1. Welcome and apologies
Pauline welcomed everyone especially Nicola Paul (Waitrose) and David Mower (HSBC) to their first meeting. Apologies had been received from several members.
2. Minutes of Meeting December 6th 2012
3. Matters Arising
All Action Points formed Agenda items apart from the following:
• Pauline had spoken to Geoff McManus (Woking Council) who would be happy to be part of a panel at an Open Meeting on Parking and planning issues. Pauline was asked to book a Church Hall for Thursday February 28th in the evening and liaise with the Three Villages Residents Association.
• Gary explained that the council had written several times to the landlords of the properties on Old Woking Road which are infested with pigeons, but with no success. He offered to talk to the Council’s Pest Control Officer.
Pauline to arrange Open Meeting
Gary to talk to WBC
4. West Byfleet Festival – 2103
Pauline is in the process of booking the Recreation Ground and talking to the Woking Asian Buisness Association amongst others. She will set up a small sub-group to assist her. Mark Fuller will build the website and John Ashcroft will develop a souvenir programme.
Mark Fuller reported that he posts the minutes on the website. There had been 2 enquiries regarding membership in the past month; one will join Business @ Brooklands, the other (a charity called Eikon) will join WBBA.
6. Christmas 2012
Pauline congratulated everyone on the evening. Mark reported that he had walked round all evening and noted not much extra footfall but the carol singing was excellent and some shops had done very well that night. Oliver was thanked for all the work he had done regarding the Christmas Trees and a vote of thanks was proposed for Paul Elding of Bourne Valley Garden Centre who supplied the trees, barrels, and lights and installed them.
It was decided to set the date for Christmas Shopping Late Night for 2013 for the second Thursday in December – Thursday December 13th which would give plenty of time to attract stall holders for next year and that we should also have a Last Minute Shopping Sunday on Sunday December 22nd and advertise the fact that all the car parks and roads would be FREE parking. Pauline will talk to West Byfleet School to see if the choir can sing on both days.
1. Pauline to talk to West Byfleet Schools
2. Set up a Christmas Sub Group.
7. Resident’s Association
Several businesses had completed their forms for membership but had been unable to pay their annual subs as they did not have an address. Pauline offered to contact John Bond.
Pauline to speak to John Bond.
Ron was not present but it was agreed that Pauline would discuss the current situation with him. Oliver gave her an envelope with money for Trees, Posters, membership and website. Pauline had already passed on money collected by Christine Osborne.
Pauline to liaise with Ron to issue membership reminders and receipts.
8. Woking Chamber
Thursday 31 January 2013 will be the first Working for Woking breakfast for the New Year, with the second falling towards the end of 2013 in October. The event will be hosted in partnership with Surrey Chambers of Commerce, Woking Chambers of Commerce and the Woking Asian Business Forum. The event is a great opportunity for the business community to hear about and discuss what the Council is doing to support the local economy, its budget and investment programme and developments in the town.
Working for Woking will provide the opportunity to meet directly with the top level of management at Woking Borough Council. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a place.
1. Waitrose will be extending their shopping hours by opening early at 7.30am from March 4th.
2. Pauline has invited Barry Kitcherside, a commercial planner, to attend the February meeting and discuss the plans for Sheer House
3. Oliver informed everyone that Hair Mekanix were offering half-price Massage and Facials at their new premises at Bourne Valley Garden Centre until the end of February.
10. Date of Next Meeting
Thursday February 7th, Corkers Wine Bar.
The meeting closed at 8.55am with thanks to Corkers Wine Bar.