Minutes of the Meeting held at Corkers Wine Bar on Thursday November 1st 2012 at 7.30am
Pauline Hedges – Chair
John Ashcroft, Mark Fuller, Christine Morrison, John Morrison, Judith Huygens, Christine Osborne, Catherine Richardson, Noel Richardson, Rob von Tonder, Oliver Lodge, Brad Preston, Roland Nevitt, David Dixon(Boots), John Bond (Residents Association), Karen Billingham, Matt Peachey (Woking Borough Council.)
1. Welcome and apologies
Pauline welcomed everyone. Apologies had been received from several members.
2. Minutes of Meeting October 11th 2012
3. Matters Arising
All Action Points formed Agenda items apart from the following:
- The letter to all businesses asking them to tidy up their shop fronts and also to ask if they wanted a Christmas Tree had been delivered by Christine O and Christine M and the response so far had been very good, with 31 trees ordered so far through them.
- The Open Meeting with WBC on Parking would be deferred until the New Year as everyone was busy with Christmas.
- Carmel Snow had contributed an article to John Ashcroft who had published it, but he asked for more contributions from EVERYONE.
- A second coat of anti-graffiti paint would not be needed for some months.
- Pauline will arrange an Open Meeting with Geoff McManus, Woking BC and discuss Parking Issues for mid-January, weather permitting.
- John Ashcroft asked for articles on West Byfleet for a double paged spread in the next Woking Means Business magazine – an opportunity for everyone to get a lot of free publicity. John and Mark will work together to have articles on the web site as well.
4. West Byfleet Festival – 2103
This item is on hold until after Christmas.
- Pauline to talk to Riette Thomas.
A small working party is required to make this happen, so volunteers please!
Mark Fuller reported that he posts the minutes on the website. He has also set up one page for the West Byfleet LI: VE Event. The website receives 10-15 hits each day. It was agreed that he and Matt Peachey would link up the 2 websites and also promote the new initiative by the council, Start-Up Woking and Woking Works for relating companies.
6. Christmas 2012
Oliver reported 40 businesses so far had ordered 40 trees and he was dealing with Paul at Bourne Valley with this. It was suggested and the meeting supported the idea of donating a tree to the Woking Hospice Shop and that this would be acknowledged on the WBBA web site.
The proposed date is Thursday December 13th – traditional late night shopping as Thursday December 6th, the original proposed date is the night of the Fullbrook carols Concert when local children and parents will be there. We can advertise our event at the Carol Concert. We agreed we needed a flyer to advertise the event and we will look at the one from last year and see if it can be adapted. Karen, who designed it last year, offered to help with that this year and the meeting thanked her.
Shani had offered to seek sponsorship, it was also suggested that the children be invited to conduct a Lantern Parade.
Pauline would invite some stall holders to take stalls outside Shere House and Bell A’mico but they need to be told to provide lights if possible although the shops will be asked to keep their lights on as well. She will invite stalls to sell stocking filler toys but not cards or wrapping paper and candy floss, hot chestnuts and cheese, olives, etc. She will also liaise with the council over a children’s fairground ride to be placed as close to sheer House as possible in the car park.
It was suggested that Cllr Gary Elson be approached to do the printing and Pauline would talk to all to encourage them to remain open.
It was suggested that a small group be formed who can communicate via email.
- John M and Oliver to look at Christmas trees.
- Pauline to talk to school and arrange sub-group and talk to café’s and stall holders.
7. Resident’s Association
John Bond introduced himself and the Magazine which is delivered to homes on the 3 villages every 4 months at an annual subscription of £3. It was suggested that this be extended to the businesses in all the villages and the meeting agreed that this would be a very worthwhile exercise as it would bring the traders and residents closer together and everyone would have a better understanding of what was happening in the village. If businesses do join they will pay £3 for 3 magazines and have a link to their business on the RA website. The RA would approach the businesses themselves.
- RA to approach all West Byfleet businesses.
Ron was not present but it was agreed that Pauline would discuss the current situation. The 2 Christines had been collecting money for Christmas trees and also membership.
It was suggested that we hold an evening event to include all those who attend either the breakfast or the lunch meetings as these 2 seem far too separate.
- Pauline to liaise with Ron to issue membership reminders and receipts.
- Pauline to arrange an evening event in January.
8. Woking Chamber
Catherine reported that BC is holding a Civic Opening of the newly re-designed Jubilee Square on Saturday November 3rd, everyone is welcome to attend. Christine Morrison would talk to Matt Peachey about a statement to be added to the cycling picture that copies were available from Heather Forster in West Byfleet.
1. Pauline a request from Surrey County Council asking for everyone to report faults or problems with Surrey roads.
2. Judith and Noel reported that Waitrose is 75 years old this year and to celebrate every partner has £7.50 to put towards planting a tree. Judith is talking to Douglas Spinks at the Council, but asked for suggestions for places to plant trees in the village.
3. The issue of the pigeons was once more raised and it was suggested that a display of birds of prey be arranged for the spring. Pauline would talk to Matt and Geoff McManus.
- Pauline to talk to Woking BC re pigeons.
10. Date of Next Meeting
7.30am Thursday December 6th at Corkers Wine Bar.
The meeting closed at 8.55am with thanks to Corkers Wine Bar.