Minutes of the Meeting held at Corkers Wine Bar on Thursday October 11th 2012 at 7.30am
Pauline Hedges – Chair
John Ashcroft, Mark Fuller, Christine Morrison, John Morrison, Judith Huygens, Christine Osborne, Catherine Richardson, Noel Richardson, Rob von Tonder, Shani Orchard, Hilary Gavin.
1. Welcome and apologies
Pauline welcomed everyone. Apologies had been received from several members. Hilary Garvin introduced herself as a freelance journalist working for Woking News & Mail among other activities.
2. Minutes of Meeting September 6th 2012
3. Matters Arising
All Action Points formed Agenda items apart from the following:
- Christine M suggested that we needed to tidy up the village if we wanted to encourage more visitors. She offered to deliver a letter to every business encouraging them to make the exterior of their premises as clean, tidy, litter free and welcoming as possible, particularly with regard to cigarette butts and other litter. Pauline has written the letter and after adding the information about £80 for dropping cigarette butts it will be delivered this month.
- Christine to deliver letter to businesses.
- Pauline will arrange an Open Meeting with Geoff McManus, Woking BC and discuss Parking Issues.
- John Ashcroft asked for articles on West Byfleet for a double paged spread in the next Woking Means Business magazine – an opportunity for everyone to get a lot of free publicity. John and Mark will work together to have articles on the web site as well.
4. West Byfleet Festival – 2103
Pauline has had confirmation that the proposed Cycle Race through Surrey next year will take place on Sunday August 4th and Pyrford want to celebrate that day so the West Byfleet LI:VE Event will take place on Friday July 26th and Saturday July 27th.
- Pauline to talk to Riette Thomas.
A small working party is required to make this happen, so volunteers please!
- Volunteers to help with planning next year’s event.
- Christine would arrange another Sunday Working Party to put the second coat of anti-graffiti paint on the Underpass. Waitrose offered to help with volunteers.
Mark Fuller reported that he posts the minutes on the website. He has also set up one page for the West Byfleet LI: VE Event. The website receives 10-15 hits each day.
6. Christmas 2012
The meeting thought it would be good to do something again this year similar to last year but start earlier – 3.30 pm with a couple of children’s rides , a few extra stalls, carols sung by the local school and end about 9.00pm. We will have a few extra stalls outside and ask the shops to keep their lights on to illuminate the village. We will suggest that ALL shops stay open that evening also. We will also have individual Christmas trees outside shops and she asked John Morrison to liaise with Oliver as they were so successful last year. The proposed date is Thursday December 13th – traditional late night shopping as Thursday December 6th, the original proposed date is the night of the Fullbrook carols Concert when local children and parents will be there. We can advertise our event at the Carol Concert. We agreed we needed a flyer to advertise the event and we will look at the one from last year and see if it can be adapted. Shani offered to seek sponsorship, it was also suggested that the children be invited to conduct a Lantern Parade.
It was suggested that a small group be formed who can communicate via email
- John M and Oliver to look at Christmas trees.
- Pauline to talk to school and arrange sub-group.
Ron was not present but it was agreed that Pauline would re-send all the membership reminders again and send out receipts for all those who had paid.
- Pauline to liaise with Ron to issue membership reminders and receipts.
8. Woking Chamber
Nothing to report.
1. Pauline gave details of properties for sale/to let in West Byfleet by Hurst Warne.
2. Christine O asked if it was possible to have bunting in the village as it had improved the appearance during the Olympics.
3. The photograph being sold by Heather Forster’s was being used to help celebrate the opening of Jubilee Square, Woking on November 2nd and John & Christine M wanted to take advantage of that publicity. They would contcat Riette Thomas, Woking BC, direct.
4. Christine M offered to keep an eye on the 3 public notice boards re-furbished by the Residents Association. The RA had promised to do that but it will be good to have another person looking after them as well and she was thanked for the generous offer.
5. Mark reported that he would be assisting Woking BC’s new initiative, Start-Up Woking, to help new businesses in the Borough, by providing website facilities through his new initiative www.llocally.com
6. Christine O reported that a Podiatrist is now working in her dental practice one day a week.
7. Waitrose has money to plant trees in the Borough and asked for suggestions for suitable sites.
8. The Resident’s Association of Byfleet, West Byfleet and Pyrford had suggested that they approach all the businesses to invite them to join the RA – the meeting wholeheartedly endorsed this suggestion and they will be invite dot the next meeting to discuss this .
10. Date of Next Meeting
7.30am Thursday November 1st at Corkers Wine Bar.
The meeting closed at 8.55am with thanks to Corkers Wine Bar.